The Akila is the first B/Type 1 ice axe to achieve such high level of technicality in the ultralight category. The shape of its chromoly steel ergonomic head is studied for optimal anchoring regardless of the surface. Its adze provides a wide enough blade to quickly clear snow to place your ice screw. The Akila is quite short (49cm), ultralight (330g) and compact to be easily stored inside a backpack.
It is the ideal tool for climbers/skiers who want to climb faster and lighter with a very technical and robust ice axe.
• Chromoly steel ergonomic head
• Aircraft grade anodized, sandblasted aluminum curved shaft
• Dual-textured grip
• Pick, adze and spike protectors included
• Weight: 330g (49cm)
• Type 1/B
• Conform to the CE / EN 13 089 ice axes certification
• Designed & assembled in Chamonix-Mont-Blanc
• Ideal for Mountaineering, Ski touring, High-Alpine Skiing
When my Akilas arrived, I picked them up for the first time and had some initial shock at something so light having the ability to perform in the way I need it to. 3 years later, they are still holding strong after multiple laps on Cascade volcanoes including the N Ridge of Mt Baker. The pair of Akilas handled steep, firm alpine ice with no issues. I had precise swings with solid sticks, no problem. The sliding pommel is well-formed as a nice pinky rest. I even choose these at some water ice crags!